About The Scholarship
It is a matter of pride to be called an LSEF-UMass Scholar. It is for driven, passionate, meritorious and deserving students who will not only be the best representatives from India but will also set their own benchmark at UMass Amherst.
The scholarship is available to selected students for pursuing post-graduate education in three masters degree programs from The University of Massachusetts Amherst:
- Masters in Public Policy
- MS in Applied Economics
- MS in Data Analytics
The students will undergo two years of study under the program. The initial period of study will be based in India at JK Lakshmipat University where students will required to undertake courses to complete requirements for entry to UMass Amherst. The final three semesters will be undertaken at the University of Massachusetts Amherst campus. The programs come with OPT benefit (Masters in Public Policy for 1 year, and Applied Economics and Data Analytics for 3 years) allowing students to work in the US after completing the program.
Each scholarship is worth Rs. 20 lakhs, amounting to 50% of the total academic fees for the two years. This scholarship will be disbursed semester wise subject to satisfactory performance. The Scholarship is not a loan and does not require to be repaid.
Leveraging the widely known reputation of UMass Amherst faculty in data analytics, computer science and the Computational Social Science Initiative (CSSI). This Master’s program is geared primarily for recent college graduates and secondarily for professionals seeking to advance careers.
Students who graduate from this program will be equipped to design research to support evidence-based decision-making, work with large datasets using a range of analysis methods, and communicate their results to general audiences—both visually and in writing.
Degree students will pursue interdisciplinary coursework and learn to:
1. Identify sources of evidence to use in decision-making
2. Work with large datasets
3. Develop reliable and ethical data management practices
4. Interpret and visualize results of analysis
5. Communicate about data and research to a general audience
Only a handful of universities offer similar degrees that specifically go beyond training in core computer programming and data management skills to also train students to collect, analyze and interpret data in order to inform decision-making and communication in the public and private sector.
The program will have a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) designation, which allows international students to extend their training (Optional Practical Training - OPT) in the United States by working in their field of study. Graduates of this program will be possess advantages seeking careers in marketing analysis, financial analysis, product or project management, demographic analysis, social media analysis, strategic communication, and reputation management.
The MS degree in Applied Economics is a terminal degree that addresses both the need for data analysts and the need for critical thinkers – graduates with the ability to first think about how consumers and firms make choices, how markets behave, and what data are needed to inform decisions. Graduates of this program are then prepared to analyze those data and provide meaningful interpretations of the results.This program will prepare students for careers in analysis and decision making for management, marketing, resource-based industries such as electric utilities and petroleum, government policy positions, particularly related to the environment, and economic consulting The program has been classified as a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) program. This designation allows international students to extend their training (Optional Practical Training - OPT) in the United States by working in their field of study for 3 years.
The School of Public Policy at UMASS Amherst offers a 37 credit Master of Public Policy (MPP) program. The MPP degree brings together political science, economics, statistics, management, and other social science disciplines to shape policies and programs around the globe. Students gain the knowledge, skills, and practical experience to become leaders in the nonprofit, public, or private sector while creating meaningful social change.Graduates of our program generally pursue careers either as analysts or in public management. They are prepared for careers as policy, research, program or budget analysts in federal, state or local government or in nonprofit or private organizations. They also work as program managers, city or town administrators, or as directors of or managers in nonprofit organizations. Some of our alumni also pursue private sector careers or public office. Know more about the program Faculty
Who is Eligible
- Candidates who have completed (or will complete before July 2019) minimum of three years of undergraduate (bachelor) degree in any discipline from an accredited institution or University in India is eligible to apply.
- Applicants need to be Indian citizens
- Applicants should have studied Mathematics as a subject upto a minimum of 12th grade or equivalent
- Applicants should have secured a minimum of 75% marks in their Undergraduate degree, 12th and 10th grades (or equivalent)
- Only selected students will need to successfully clear TOEFL/ IELTS with minimum acceptable scores (80 for TOEFL and 6.5 for ILETS) and take GRE – General test for MS (Applied Economics) and MS (Data Analytics) programmes before end of 1st year.
- Candidates must first submit an expression of interest with the required information by 26th August 2019.
- Candidates will receive an invitation to complete and submit an online application form along with all requirements including a statement of purpose and recommendation letters
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an aptitude assessment and personal interview with the selection committee comprising of LSEF and UMass Amherst representatives.
- Selections will be made on rolling basis until all the scholarships are granted and accepted. Therefore, early application is encouraged.
Message from Dean and Faculty
“The LSEF-UMass scholarship offers a terrific opportunity to talented students from India to experience some of the best education that University of Massachusetts Amherst has to offer. Students will enjoy an innovative and supportive learning community at UMass’ flagship campus, steeped in a tradition of outstanding scholarship, vital research and relevant social change.”
– John A. Hird, Professor and Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, UMass-Amherst
“The MS in Data Science program at U Mass Amherst leverages the widely known reputation of UMass Amherst faculty in data analytics, computer science and the Computational Social Science Initiative (CSSI), and is geared towards recent college graduates as well as professionals seeking to advance careers”.
– Meredith Rolfe, Associate Professor and Director of M.S. Data Analytics and Computational Social Science, UMass-Amherst
“Through our graduate programme in Applied Economics, we’re interested in developing creative solutions to complex problems. This programme will prepare students for careers in analysis and decision making for management, marketing, resource-based industries such as electric utilities and petroleum, government and policy positions, environment and economic consulting.”
– John Spraggon, Professor and Chair of the Department of Resource Economics, UMass-Amherst
“The Master of Public Policy program at the UMass Amherst School of Public Policy balances academic theory with professional skills development and practical experience, preparing students to become leaders in government, at nonprofits, or in the private sector. The UMass Amherst community, as a whole, embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion, grounded in core values of compassion and concern for others. The scholars who join us through our partnership with the Lakshmipat Singhania Education Foundation will add to the cultural and intellectual diversity of our vibrant campus. We’re excited to welcome them to our supportive living and learning environment and help prepare them for future success.”
– Alasdair Roberts, Professor and Director of the School of Public Policy, UMass-Amherst
“These programs at U Mass Amherst will advance talented students in a variety of careers related to business, technology, government and many cutting-edge fields. The hallmark of our graduate programs is research and career development opportunities. Our graduate students are taught and mentored by world-renowned faculty, and they embark on meaningful research locally, nationally and abroad. The Scholarship makes these programs very affordable for the qualifying students.”
– Raymond J. La Raja, Director of Program Innovation at the College of Social and Behavioural Sciences, UMass-Amherst